Our church has had an intriguing history
The church has had an intriguing history. In pre-European times the site of the church was alongside a water trade route between the Waitemata and Manukau harbours and also provided safe anchorage for boats plying the East Coast. The soil was generally fertile and contour gentle and suitable for crops, resulting in a large Māori population from Ngāti Pāoa.
The first Anglican Church was built in 1852 and the current church was completed in 1866 and opened by Bishop Selwyn. Initially, it was linked to the Howick Parish and then to Otahuhu. The first Vicar was the Rev’d Gould, who was also responsible for the Kaipara district and Waiheke Island. He had 16 children and retired at 76 after 42 years of service.
The Gospel has been explained continuously for 171 years at the time of writing.
Bishop Selwyn (left) and the Rev’d Gould
Painting of the church, late 19th century.